Funding programs for employers and industry
There are a number of Tasmanian Government, Australian Government and industry programs targeted directly at employers and industry to support training and workforce development.
There are also a number of programs available to support businesses employing apprentices and trainees. These range from incentives paid by the Australian Government through Apprenticeship Network Providers and State Government grants paid to employers employing new workers in targeted industries.
Tasmanian Government Funding
The Tasmanian Government offers a range of programs aimed at assisting employers and industry with training and workforce development. Most of these are available through Skills Tasmania
Skills Tasmania provides funding to TasTAFE and other Endorsed RTOs to reduce the cost of training for employers and learners and help develop the future workforce for employers and industry.
For example, we currently offer the following programs to Endorsed RTOs that reduce the overall costs for employers wishing to train their staff:
- Skills Fund - provides funding to an RTO where they partner with employers and industry to deliver training to existing workers.
- Apprentice and Trainee Training Fund (User Choice) - helps to cover the cost of training any apprentice or trainee you employ.
- Adult Learning Fund - supports jobseekers and adult learners in Tasmania to gain skills they need to improve their employment opportunities.
- Funding for TasTAFE - supports training that improves an individual's employment opportunities and builds the capacity and capability of the workforce.
We encourage you to contact an RTO to discuss your training needs, whether you can access subsidised training for your staff, or how you might help support training and access a skilled workforce for your industry.
A number of useful lists, including of RTOs with a current funding agreement with Skills Tasmania to deliver subsidised training, can be found here.
The Mentoring for Success Program supports an increase in apprenticeship and traineeship commencements and completions in Tasmania.
For further information about the program go to the Mentoring for Success page.
Skills Tasmania also provides a range of programs and allowances for individual learners undertaking vocational education and training. These can be found here.
Incentives are available from the Australian Government to assist employers to employ and support apprentices and trainees. Incentives are also available to apprentices and trainees to help support their training.
Incentives and programs include:
- apprenticeship/traineeship commencement and completion incentives for employers
- incentives for employing apprentices and trainees with a disability, existing employees and adult apprentices and trainees
- Trade Support Loans for apprentices and trainees, and
- Living Away from Home Allowance for apprentices and trainees.