I am an apprentice or trainee
Congratulations, you have signed into a training contract with your employer to gain a nationally recognised qualification.
There is some key information and rules you need to know about your apprenticeship or traineeship.
- You are in a legally binding contract with your employer, any amendments require mutual agreement.
- You and your employer are required to follow the obligations outlined in the national training contract and the Tasmanian Traineeships and Apprenticeships Committee (TTAC) Policies and Guidelines I PDF 664KB, these have been created to support the training contract.
- Your obligations under the training contract are:
- To attend work, do your job and follow instructions from your employer, providing they are lawful.
- Work towards achieving your qualification as stated in your training contract
- Undertake any training and assessment in your training plan.
- Within 3 months of commencing your apprenticeship, your nominated registered training organisation (RTO) should have made contact with you and your employer to enrol you for training, negotiate how training and assessment will occur and develop your training plan, you and your employer should be provided with a copy of your training plan.
- You should receive supervision whilst you are on the job. Supervision should be in accordance with the TTAC policies and guidelines and training contract obligations.
- It is a legal requirement for your employer to pay you regularly, provide payslips, and wages and entitlements in accordance with the Award you are employed under.
A great source of information is the Guide for Apprentices and Trainees I PDF 938KB or the HELP SHEET for Employers Apprentices and Trainees - 2020.
If you need literacy and numeracy support, TasTAFE and other RTOs provide a number of programs to help with reading, writing and maths.
Need further information?
The pages below may provide you with further useful information.
If you can’t find the information you need, or things aren't progressing well with your training, please contact one of our Workforce Training Consultants or your Apprenticeship Network Provider as soon as possible - we are here to help.