Is there funding available to help me undertake training?
There are some programs that you can access directly, and some that your employer or training provider can access that will reduce the cost of your training.
Through these programs, the Tasmanian Government contributes to the cost of your training to ensure training is accessible to Tasmanian's.
These programs are detailed below. We encourage you to contact an RTO to discuss your training needs and whether the training you want is subsidised.
- Travel and Accommodation Allowances - allowances that assist apprentices and trainees who are required to travel, either within Tasmania or interstate, to cover the cost of attending training with their Registered Training Organisation.
- Jobseeker programs - this list shows the programs subsidised by Skills Tasmania that may have places available to jobseekers.
- The New Apprenticeship Scholarship program (NASP) - is a scholarship for eligible apprentices and trainees in the North West Tasmania to help with student fees or for associated costs such as books and materials, transport or child care to help them complete their apprenticeship of traineeship. For more information please contact your Australian Network Provider.
The funding that Skills Tasmania provides TasTAFE and other Endorsed Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) is designed to reduce the cost of training for learners and help employers and industry develop their future workforce.
For example, we currently offer the following programs to Endorsed RTOs that subsidise training which reduces the overall costs for employers and learners:
- Skills Fund - provides funding to an RTO where they partner with employers and industry to deliver training to existing workers.
- Apprentice and Trainee Training Fund (User Choice) - helps to cover the cost of training for any apprentice or trainee.
- Adult Learning Fund - supports jobseekers and adult learners in Tasmania to gain skills they need to improve their employment opportunities.
- Funding for TasTAFE - supports training that improves an individual's employment opportunities and builds the capacity and capability of the workforce.
We encourage you to contact an RTO to discuss your training needs and whether the training you want is available and subsidised.
A number of useful lists, including of RTOs with a current funding agreement with Skills Tasmania to deliver subsidised training, can be found here.
Skills Tasmania also publishes lists of which RTOs have a funding agreement to deliver subsidised training, including across which qualifications. This page explains this further.
TasTAFE publishes information about its course fees and entitlements here.
Skills Tasmania also provides a range of programs for employers and industry with training and workforce development. These can be found here.
Skills Tasmania prioritises funding for learners seeking their first Certificate III qualification and qualifications leading to Certificate III, in recognition that skills are a key investment in Tasmania’s people and economy. This is referred to as a training entitlement place.
To be eligible for a training entitlement place, at the very minimum you must satisfy the following criteria. You must be:
- an Australian or NZ citizen, or
- an Australian permanent resident, or
- a holder of a temporary humanitarian visa and have permission to work and study in Australia,or
- on a State sponsored visa on a pathway to permanent residence
and be of:
- working age
- not at school (other than a school-based apprentice or trainee), and
- reside in Tasmania.
Your RTO will be able to assist you in determining whether you meet the criteria for a training entitlement place or whether there are other subsidised training opportunities available in your area of interest. This includes any further eligibility requirements.
Incentives are available from the Australian Government to assist employers and learners. Incentives and programs include:
- apprenticeship / traineeship commencement and completion incentives for employers
- incentives for employing apprentices/trainees with a disability, existing employees and adult apprentices/trainees
- Trade Support Loans for apprentices and trainees, and
- Living Away from Home Allowance for apprentices and trainees.